Friday, September 29, 2017

7A

  1. People in Alachua County are not getting the health service they deserve. Old people are dying because they don’t have nearby hospitals and it is causing them their lives.
  2. Who: Middle age people in Alachua County
What: They don’t have enough transportation and hospitals around them to be treated
Why: Logistics in transportation for people to go to the hospital and get treated. 
  1. Who: It is mostly people who are not financially stable and the live in the outsides of Gainesville or Alachua County.
What: They had a nearby urgent care/ emergency room but it got shut down and now there are people who relied on this center and now they just stay home because it is expensive to go to Shands hospital. 
Why: They don’t have enough resources or money in order to travel long distances and to pay for a doctor visits.
  1. Part 1
    1. The first person that I interviewed they were pretty surprised by this. He comes from a city where everything is available to him whenever they want it. The fact that they don’t have access to a doctor it is really impacting. They think the county should be able to provide them with transportation or have a center were it is cheap in order for them to go. This is a good way to approach this situation and it is something that goes with the hypothesis I stated as to what should be done in order to have help people that don’t have resources to go see a doctor. 
    2. I interviewed  a friend and they actually knew about this situation and they were planning on creating an app for those people that are in the outsides of Alachua County and Gainesville. Even though this is a good a idea the problem with this is that not everyone in that area have the possibility of owning a device that they will be able to download an app. They will have to be able to actually have the money to buy a tablet or phone in order for this to be possible.
    3. Another friend of my said it would be interesting to create a bus system that will be covered by their insurance in order for them to get on a bus and then go to the hospital. This is another good idea that can happen but can be controversial because who would be able to be open to drive all these people. 
    4. The other person that I interviewed was also very surprised cause we don’t notice important situations that are around us. She made an interesting point in that we should be more aware and maybe do something to actually be more informed about these situations. People have their plate full of stuff but there are many people around us that are in need and we shouldn’t just stand there and do nothing about it. 
    5. The last interview that I had it was a friend that also suggested an idea to create an app but this app is more of a transportation app. So people in those areas that are not being attended they should be able to call transpiration and a nurse should be able to detect if it is urgent or not. Even though it is awesome, it is still very up in the air because we would need to see how insurance would work and if the people can afford it. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Costanza!

    I think all of the interviews you had for this opportunity were very insightful in terms of setting realistic goals. It seems as you were able to take the ideas of your interviewees and see both the pros and cons of them. One that I thought was really interesting was the idea of having a bus system that is covered by insurance that would help people get the help they need at little to no cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Costanza,

    I was just as surprised at this issue as many of the people you interviewed. It's crazy to think an established educated institution like UF can't put a system in place to help these people. Especially if its in the area surrounding Gainsville. I thought the app idea was very interesting and promising. But like you said, if they cannot afford transportation a lot of them probably won't be able to afford a device to download the app. Great job though!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Constanza,
    I was not aware of this issue at all. Like one of the people you interviewed, I come from a large city in California where medical attention is pretty much on every corner! It is crazy to me that people have to travel many miles to seek medical attention. This is a difficult problem to solve because it is hard for a urgent care or doctor's office to want to be in a very small town because that means they will not receive much business. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Constanza,

    I really enjoyed reading your post about your specific opportunity that you have identified. I did not previously know that there was an issue specifically in Alachua County in regards to nearby health care facilities. That was certainly interesting to learn that. Furthermore, the interviews that you conducted were very reflective of your need to pursue this opportunity. Overall, great job! I thought your post was very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

30A – Final Reflection

Overall, I have had a good experience with this class.   A lot  of the assignments I felt like they were very meaningful and others were sor...